The Seymour Agency is currently open to submissions from new and established authors.
Be sure to include:
+References (conference, recommendation, etc)
PRACTICAL ADVICE FOR PRE-PUBLISHED AUTHORS:
- First impressions count. Use spellcheck and format your manuscript properly (1" margins, 12pt font, Header with title, page #, author name).
- Beware of typos.
- Avoid passive writing.
- Do your homework. Know your target audience and genre.
- Be unique. Every theme/storyline has been done before. What makes your manuscript different?
- Edit. Edit. Edit. Make sure your story begins in the right place, that secondary characters don't steal the show, and the tension escalates.
- Every agent/editor/reader wants a book they can't stop reading, be mindful of pacing.
- Create characters a reader will care about.
- Typing "The End" is only the beginning. Be prepared to promote and market both your book and your brand. For example, blogspots and websites build readership and establish an online presence.
- Networking through writing groups and formal organizations (ACFW, RWA, MWA, FWA) can introduce you to new friends, critique partners, and offer resources tailored to your genre.
- Develop your craft and DON'T STOP WRITING. Writers improve with every manuscript, and completing more books increases your odds of achieving publication.
Mary Sue accepts queries in the following genres: Christian, Inspirational, Romance (including category), and Non-Fiction.
Nicole accepts queries in the above genres in addition to: Action/Suspense/Thriller, Mystery, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and YA/Children's/MG and all Romance.
Julie accepts queries in the following genres: women's fiction, inspirational fiction and nonfiction, contemporary fiction, historical fiction, YA.
To query Mary Sue Seymour:
To query Nicole Resciniti:
To query Julie Gwinn:
To query Lane Heymont:
For email queries, a one page letter will suffice. No attachments, please. All of The Seymour Agency Agents prefer email queries and ask that you paste the first five pages of your manuscript into the bottom of your email. Nicole runs a paperless office and ONLY accepts email queries.
For snail mail, include the first three chapters, synopsis, and a SASE for our response (see contact page for address). Be sure to include the appropriate postage if you want your materials returned.
Our policy is to recycle manuscripts.
Simultaneous submissions are acceptable for queries and partials. However, we only review complete manuscripts on an exclusive basis.
The Seymour Agency also includes a prayer card to soften a rejection. If this offends you, you may want to query someone else.
In the interest of protecting the environment, The Southwest Florida Office has gone paperless. Please forward all submissions electronically.
We make a conscious effort to reply to every query we receive. If you do not receive a request for additional materials within three weeks, you should assume that we are not interested in that particular project.
May God Bless you in all of your writing endeavors.